Reitmeier was recently honored for our environmentally sustainable business practices with the Washington County Green Business Award. This distinguished award is given to only those businesses that go “above-and-beyond” in their commitment to sustainability.
The Green Business Award is presented by Washington County Solid Waste & Recycling’s Green Business Leaders program. Green Business Award winners benefit the environment by instituting a wide range of environmentally sustainable practices including recycling, preventing wasted food, reducing paper use, buying supplies in bulk, eliminating the use of paper towels, and providing customers and employees with reusable dishware instead of disposable items.
“By implementing socially and environmentally responsible practices, Green Business Award winners are doing their part to move the needle on waste reduction,” says Alex Bertolucci, Washington County Green Business Advisor. “This helps create healthy communities and also contributes to worldwide efforts to support the environment.”
Here are a small fraction of the eco-friendly actions Reitmeier takes daily:
- Reclaiming/reusing HVAC refrigerants
- Recovering HVAC air filters
- Partnering with the Energy Trust of Oregon
- Using a water filtration system to eliminate the use of plastic water bottles
- Converting our dispatch board from paper to digital, saving approximately four reams of paper
- Recycling K-Cups through Grounds to Grow On program
- Installing motion-sensor surge protectors to save electricity
- Using paper products throughout the company that are 100% recycled or post-consumer recycled (ex: business cards, stationery, brochures, and copy paper)
- Building our headquarters according to LEED Silver Certified Standards
- Composting all leftover food in our breakroom
- Deploying recycling containers for each and every desk, office, and company vehicle
At Reitmeier, our mission of balance is also a commitment to be better stewards of the environment. With each action we take as a company, we think hard about what we consume and how we can minimize our impact. Our ultimate goal is to become a company that produces zero waste.
“We are committed to creating long-lasting, sustainable solutions that contribute toward a healthier tomorrow,” says Jeff Nusz, President of Reitmeier. “We’re thrilled with this award that recognizes all of our team’s hard work toward this goal.”